Linguistic/Translation Worker (initial)
LONG TERM | PACIFIC
Interested in having a part in seeing God’s Word in the hands of people in their own language? Will you accept the challenge to serve the people of Vanuatu so they can benefit from God’s Word in the language of their heart? We need well trained people with a clear sense of God’s calling who will dedicate their time , their skills and their hearts to seeing the people of Vanuatu have access to his Word. We need people who are flexible, emotionally and spiritually hardy, motivated, resourceful and can work together as a team to get the task done. Could that be you? Join us in our mission to help all who hunger for God’s Word.
- Long term involvement in working on a particular language in view of being part of a village-based national translation team.
- Learns to speak the language and to relate well within the culture.
- Works with speakers of a language to gather and analyse language data, and develops a written form for the language if needed (this could involve interacting with any previous linguistic work done by others).
- Is involved in the program planning process, with the goal of translation in the local team context.
- Other involvement should include literacy and Scripture Use where needed.
- University-level degree or equivalent academic credentials.
- Good understanding of the Bible with exegetical skills.
Please contact us to discuss any training plans. Future training pathways will take into account any previous training and work experiences as well as your intended duration of service. Flexible options are available including online and on-field training.
- A theological degree at Bible college.
- One year at SIL Australia.
- Orientation workshops, held at our National Centre in Kangaroo Ground, Victoria.